Writng at this unusual time as everyone out, shopping presumably. Good, enabled me to unload my own shopping (not much; challes, pickles, Nescaf, family brick) before the storm bursts. But they have been out over an hour now, which means that it will be a strom and a half when it does burst.
At the interview [for Friern Barnet] the H.M. told me that the post carried an allowance! In fact, Marsh (the Deputy Director of Education for Hornsey) shook me before that by asking if my decision to accept the post would be affected if the allowance were deferred.
Snags: there may be disciplinary problems, but I cannot imagine discipline generally being a bigger problem than at Cassland [South Hackney School] fifteen years ago, and I feel I could now – after all, with fifteen years’ experience, and no worries about my health - tackle even Cassland. But, on reflection, there can be no retreat – the M.C.C. are under no obligation to offer me a post if I can’t stick F.B. (whereas when I was on Divisional Staff I could always go to another school if I couldn’t make out at the one I was at; if you like, I could always move away before things got too hot for me. But if things get too hot for me here, there can be no moving out! However, at the worst, I think, conditions will be about the same as at Barnsbury now, which means I do my nut, but in a routine sort of way.